Saturday, December 3, 2011

Creamy salad dressing

I used to think salad dressings were one of those things that you couldn't really make from scratch....before I learned that there isn't really anything you can't make from scratch.
I like this dressing, because it's made with stuff you probably have on hand, it's really easy, and it tastes good.

Creamy salad dressing
Mayonnaise. (the real stuff. Miracle whip or anything that tastes similar won't work. Besides, it's nasty......)
Lemon juice
Milk
Paprika
Garlic powder
Italian seasoning

Put mayo in a bowl. 1 large spoonful makes enough for two meals of salad at our house. Add some lemon juice. More lemon juice makes a nice lemony dressing that's good on chicken, less lemon makes it kind of like ranch dressing. Add milk to get the consistency you want. I tend to make it thinner so that it coats the lettuce easier. You're probably not going to get that super-thick store dressing consistency, but I don't like it that way myself so I don't care. Add the seasonings to taste. Whisk until smooth.

Something I like to do with this is take two frozen chicken breasts, coat them with the dressing and then breadcrumbs, dot with a little butter, and bake at 350 until the meat is done. It's not very crispy, but it has a lovely flavor and the chicken stays pretty juicy even if you overcook it a bit. (It will get dry eventually, but you have to REALLY overcook it.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to be kind. I am fine if you want to take issue with things I've said, but swearing, insulting others, or jumping down people's throats won't be allowed.